Plan in Advance
(Please share with your colleagues)
Tips for MBEs
1. Use your attendance at the Expo to strengthen your marketing campaign. For example, as a result of your research of corporate members’ commodity needs, seek out the MBE coordinator and or buyer and sell your solution to their buying need. Are you a subcontractor of a prime that supplies to our corporate members? Encourage them to participate in the Expo to increase their sales with other corporate members and support you during presentations. This will give you access to a larger network of corporations.
2. Plan to have at least two representatives occupy your booth space and bring marketing material.
3. Know the target client and understand what they are looking for and how you can help them get it. Make sure your presentation covers all the bases and is incorporated in a state of the art visual presentation that provides useful information.
4. Look to the corporate members to establish relationships and build contacts. Do not look for the immediate contract opportunity. If there is an immediate opportunity, great, but the relationship building process insures longer-term success. Understand that, it often takes time. Be persistent without being overbearing.
5. When approached in reference to a bid, respond. If the bid does not meet your specifications, advise the contact person and thank them for considering you. Be sure to make them aware of what you do and, if you’ve expanded your services or product line when responding to a bid. Follow through, follow through, follow through!
6. Utilize the Expo as an opportunity to investigate joint ventures and strategic partnerships to expand your business potential, network and do business with other certified suppliers.
7. Share your successes and information. Let others know that the system works. Reach back and help others. Stay involved with The Council.